documentation and conservation
of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods
of the modern movement
  • flickr
  • | | gallery entry

    Hamilton Education Centre

    100 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON.
    architect(s):
    constructed: 1967

    Sited opposite Hamilton City Hall and civic square, the Education Centre was designed to complement and expand the modern, urban civic precinct.

    The Hamilton Education Centre comprised an 8-storey administrative block with two single-storey wings for the library and the trustees’ council chamber.  The ensemble was set on a low plinth, forming a terrace at the main entrance.

    With its surrounding gardens, copper fascia, marble-clad ground floor, double height entry portico and wooden coffered ceiling, the building established a strong civic presence opposite City Hall.  Within the portico, a concrete bas-relief by artist Joseph Gause featured education in three stages: ancient, renaissance, and modern.  Above, the administrative block was clad in pre-cast concrete panels and aluminum windows, imparting considerable texture to the tower.

    The Education Centre was the most significant work of Hamilton architect Joseph (Joe) Stringer (1924-2013).  Stringer was a decorated air force pilot, author, architect and prominent member of the Jewish community.

    The Hamilton Education Centre served as the headquarters for an expanded school district from 1997 onward, as the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board.

    The building was demolished in 2012 for the construction of a facility for McMaster University.  The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board moved into a purpose-built facility, with the Joseph Gause frieze mounted within its interior.

    RLTD resources
    NRBYnearby
    documentation and conservation of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the modern movement