documentation and conservation
of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods
of the modern movement
  • flickr
  • | gallery entry

    Edwards Gardens’ Buildings

    777 Lawrence Avenue East, Toronto, ON.
    architect(s):
    constructed: 1964, 1965
    heritage recognition:

    The former estate of Rupert E. Edwards became a public park in 1956, and Raymond Moriyama was later commissioned to design a shelter and a civic garden centre.  As elements of a cultural landscape along the ravine of Wilket Creek, the buildings were integrated within the landscape, which included vestiges of the former estate and extensive gardens.

    The two buildings within Edwards Gardens exhibit influences of both traditional Japanese architecture and the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, while achieving integrity in their own right.  The Civic Garden Centre was expanded in 1976 (Jerome Markson). 

    The Ontario Association of Architects recognized the Edwards Gardens Shelter with its 25-Year Award in 1991.

    In 2005, Montgomery Sisam was responsible for a further expansion to create a gardening education and information centre for the Toronto Botanical Gardens:  The George and Kathy Dembroski Centre for Horticulture.

    RLTD resources
    NRBYnearby
    documentation and conservation of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the modern movement