documentation and conservation
of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods
of the modern movement
  • flickr
  • | gallery entry

    County of Waterloo Courthouse

    20 Weber Street East, Kitchener, ON.
    architect(s):
    constructed: 1965
    heritage recognition:

    “The courthouse is typical of the 1960s in its use of steel skeleton frame with precast concrete cladding. Two rectangular wings set at an angle of 42° contain the law courts and administrative offices, tied together by the main entrance. The boomerang plan allows the courthouse to address the two Weber Street corners of the site without reflecting the irregular angles of these intersections, and provides a generous civic space on Weber Street. Over the main doors is a concrete parabolic arch, the form influenced by the historic Conestoga wagon and the work of the Spanish-Mexican engineer, Felix Candela.”

     Cathy Garrido – “Images of Progress 1946-1996:  Modern Architecture in Waterloo Region”

    RLTD resources
    NRBYnearby
    documentation and conservation of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the modern movement