Docomomo Canada-Ontario is an official working-party of Docomomo International, an international non-governmental organization dedicated to the documentation and conservation of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the Modern Movement.
Docomomo Canada-Ontario aims to:
- Focus on the built legacy of the Modern Movement (including buildings, cultural landscapes, urban ensembles) recognizing the breadth and diversity within the province
- Identify surviving examples, enhance our understanding, exchange knowledge, advocate for protection, and promote creative conservation of these places for continuing use into the future
- Build an organization that is multidisciplinary and diverse (including historians, architects, engineers, landscape architects, planners, interior designers, academics, conservators, policy-makers, and design enthusiasts)
- Work cooperatively with the other working-parties (Docomomo Québec, Docomomo Atlantic Canada, Docomomo BC) as well as other groups with allied interests
- Promote a values-based approach to conservation decision-making, which considers the architectural significance of a particular place in addition to other sources of significance
- Be nimble and sustainable